Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Walk Through the Roses

Eric and I went on a Photo Walk with a Pro Photographer, Scott Bourne. It was in Washington Park so there were plenty of subjects to catch Eric's eye, as he prefers taking pictures of nature. I prefer taking photos of people. This can be pretty tricky if you go around taking pictures of the unsuspecting. As I was walking through the park I looked up a long staircase and saw an old guy just standing... peacefully looking out over the Rose Garden. I snapped a couple of photos of "the staircase" and then he started to descend them.

As he approached me he said "If I had a camera, I'd take a picture of you." I laughed and he continued, "I thought you were taking my picture and I said 'I'll smile if you want me to.' But, you didn't hear me" I told him that I WAS taking his picture and I showed him the picture of him on the tiny screen on the camera. As we continued in conversation I discovered that he lives just around the corner and comes for walks in the Rose Garden every day except for the foul ones. His name is Jacob Avshalomov. He is a composer and he used to teach at Columbia University. His most recent adventure before retiring 15 years ago was conducting the Portland Youth Philharmonic for FORTY YEARS! I asked him if he still attends concerts of the PYP and was astounded and slightly heartbroken to hear him say, "no, I gave music up. I don't even listen to it anymore." A life filled with vast accomplishments in music turned into a life filled with silence... with walks in the Rose Garden. When I got home, I googled him. I found a lot, but here's his website http://www.avshalomovmusic.com/ and here... is his beautiful smile.

I want to go back to the Rose Garden just in case I bump into him again. I want to know what it feels like to intentionally give up something that you once loved so much. I want to know what the end of an accomplished life feels like. I want to know what it's like to gain so much pleasure from a daily walk through the roses.




I've never seen a tattoo quite like this. Here's a girl who wanted everyone to know that she is NOT spineless. I asked if I could take a picture of her tattoo and her dad chuckled. She asked, "Aren't you proud to have me as a daughter?"


Just as we were leaving I saw the cutest little girl who was going around taking pictures all by herself.


She got this same picture of me. :-) I'm pretty sure I'm not as cute as she is though.


I guess that's all for now. I have nothing exciting to say except for this: I'm HOTTT!!!!!!! Have a fantastic evening!

1 comment:

Jojo & Scott said...

Trae,

Beautiful pictures! beautiful people. you would have a blast in Nepal the faces have so much character. Unfortunately, I don't have your skilz or your forwardedness (totally not a word).

xoxo, jojo