I had a long ride in the car today and I actually did something productive... so here it is.
It’s hard to say who I would be without the influence of my parents. I have so much to credit to their leadership and guidance throughout my life. I have so much to thank them for. When we were young, my parents were very intentional about both caring for us and bringing us up to be who we are today. As kids, we knew that we were loved and special.
Our parents placed a high value on our development of our faith and relationship with Christ. My parents were an example of people who loved the Lord and I remember Dad leading family devotions and my Mom on the couch every morning with her coffee and her Bible.
I will never know all of the sacrifices that my parents made for us, but I will share one that was very meaningful to me. Money was tight, but my parents still made it possible for us to pursue our interests. In third grade, I started taking gymnastics at the boys and girls club. It turned out to be something that I both liked and was pretty good at so Mom and Dad put me in the local gym where I spent years taking classes and participating in competitions. It wasn’t until much later that I realized that between lessons, meets, leotards and travel expenses, this was a significant time and financial commitment. I still remember mom picking me up from gym every day, day trips to competitions and trips with mom and dad to see Pac 10 meets at Oregon State like they happened yesterday. I know that this was a sacrifice that my parents made because they believed in me. And their belief in me planted the roots for me believing in myself.
Mom, you are such a strong woman. When I think about the presence you have had in my life and the influence you have had on the woman that I have become I am so very thankful. I admire your persistence in pursuing your dreams. It is because of you that I am a strong and confident woman. It is your example that caused my desire to pursue a daily walk with Christ. Thank you for believing in me, for allowing me to cry on your shoulder so many times. There are some wounds that only a mother can comfort, thank you for being there for mine.
Dear Ol’ Dad, there are no words that can accurately describe the love a girl has for her daddy. You have always been the guy that treated me the way I deserved to be treated. Your respect and adoration of me showed me what to look for in a spouse. I love your spirit and your quirkiness and your sense of humor. Your hardworking, consistent provision for our family has not gone unnoticed. And your unconditional love for us is a mirror of Christ.
There is no way that I could possibly express all of my love and gratitude for my parents, or tell all that they have done for me in this blog post (this is why it’s taken so long to get here). But I will say, that I have learned so much from you. You have been my parents for as long as I can remember, but you have also been my mentors, my teachers and most importantly… my friends. Thank you for loving me the way that I am, for respecting who I have become and for shaping me in many, many ways. I will always love you with all of my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment