Many things have been said and written about sisters. If you've never had sisters, the relationship is simply not something that you will be able to understand. I was blessed with three sisters directly from the womb of our mother. Growing up in a large family, we spent plenty of time with each other since we never had our own rooms. We spent countless hours playing house, putting on talent shows, recording fake beatings when Katti was babysitting us so that we could play them for our parents when they got home from playing volleyball. We had a lot of fun together and as I assume it is SUPPOSED to be with sisters, we fought a lot.
The age distance between Katti and I was perfect. I was a freshman when she was a senior in high school. My freshman year, I think we actually started to LIKE each other! And then she moved away. That complicated things. The age difference between Kassi and Kalli and I was a little bit too much. By the time they were out of Jr. high, I was already in college and I didn't get to spend much time with them as actual people (not kids). Looking back, one of my biggest regrets was not spending the time to intentionally get to know them before becoming a holiday and weekend visitor in their lives. I watched them flourish in high school from afar. I am not sure they ever knew how proud of them I was (ok, I think i found out why I keep putting off this blogging thing... it makes me cry!).
Anyway... one Christmas about 5 years or so ago, I had one of the biggest realizations/scares of my life. It was just another Christmas, full of all the normal traditions and it ended in one huge fight. Seems usual enough for sisters, but this fight was pretty monumental and a lot of stuff that had been swept under the carpet for years was uncovered and it wasn't pretty. I was devastated. One very important thing came out of that fight. I realized that these women who I share a gene pool with didn't know that I loved them. They didn't know how MUCH I loved them and that was because I had not shown them love. I THINK that fight was somehow a turning point for us. I still fail to show my love for my sisters regularly. I fail miserably. I hope that I am correct in saying that our trust in one another has grown and I hope that trust is enough to cover our shortcomings.
I wish I were as brilliant as you, Katti. I wish I were as gentle as you, Kalli. And, I wish I were as strong as you Kassi. My sisters, I love you so much. I wouldn't trade you for the world.
1 comment:
I stinkin love you!! And yes that year was a turning point. It's when our relationship became real. It may not always be the best, but at least it's real, and we can feel secure enough in it to let it be REAL! I love you, and thanks for making me cry! See you soon!
Post a Comment