Saturday, August 7, 2010

30 in 30: No. 25 - The Well

Inching closer to the end... It was my junior year of college when my friends Travis and Erin introduced me to Eric Knox. Eric was the youth pastor at Newsong in Portland when I met him. Eric is such a dynamic person that when I met him, I knew I wanted to be part of what he was doing. I remember sitting down with him in his office and telling him that I was interested in helping out with the youth group. He said, "ok, but I feel like I should let you in on something first... I'm going to be planting a church..." That was all I needed to hear.

I had the opportunity to be part of the core team that planted The Well. I really feel like The Well was where I grew up in my faith. I encountered grace in a real way for the first time. I had the opportunity to worship with many people who had come from backgrounds that were different from mine. I began to appreciate diversity in a new way as I began to learn how the image of God is reflected in our differences.

I still visit The Well on occasion. It has changed... a lot. There are still some old faces there. I can mostly always count on Tom to welcome me with open arms. And I hope that never changes.

No comments: