Wednesday, August 25, 2010

30 in 30: No. 28 - Eric Nathan Vogt

I was on Eharmony for 2 months before Eric and I were matched. I had gone on one date that had NOT gone well. I wasn't really interested in going on another Eharmony date, but as I said 2 posts ago, Donna convinced me to give it a go.

Things happened so quickly with us. I walked into Danielle's house the evening of our first date. She looked at me nervously, "how'd it go?" she asked skeptically... "It went REALLY well." I said. Her expression turned to surprise... "it DID?" I hadn't expected it to go well either. It was after our second date when I called my mom and I told her, "I think this might be it." It was so apparent after just a few weeks, that he was made for me. And it is much more apparent now.

Let me tell you about my husband, the love of my life.
  • He is very intelligent. He has an incredible ability to retain information (some useless, but all fascinating and excellent for road trips or other potentially boring situations).
  • He is passionate. I love to see the fire that lights up in him when he starts talking about photography, economics, current events, Christianity, politics, birds... etc. He gets so much joy out of life and loves having passionate discussions about any of these topics and more.
  • He is talented- you should check out his photography at http://www.flickr.com/photos/envogt/
  • He loves the Lord with all of his heart.
  • He is very loyal. His friends know that he would do anything for them.
  • He is genuine and honest. He speaks his mind even if it is unpopular.
  • He's really funny. If you've been around him, you probably have a number of ericisms to remind you of that.
  • He is really warm... and by that, i mean he keeps me warm when I a cold (a lot).
  • He loves his Mom (and the rest of his family, but he REALLY love his mom).
  • He's so much like his Dad in looks, but in so many other ways.
  • He's a long prayer... I love this about him because he helps me to check my motives when i just want him to be done so I can eat.
  • He fights for our marriage every day.
  • He loves his nieces and nephews (and our pseudo nieces and nephews- or friends kids). I love watching him play with them and wrestle them. And they LOVE him!
  • He pays attention to the little things.
  • He buys me flowers for reasonable purposes.
  • He makes me coffee EVERY MORNING and on Saturdays and Sundays he brings it to me in bed!
  • He loves my cooking.
  • He's very athletic- he loves sports and is very good at them.
  • He's very diligent- he works full time and goes to school and does an excellent job at both.
  • He has a sweet accent and says some words funny.
  • He's hot!
  • He is a ridiculously chipper morning person. He often sings and i dead stare at him.
  • He LOVES being around me. And I LOVE being around him. We're best friends.
  • He is very generous. He gives willingly of his time and his money.
  • He vacuums... that's a big deal because I don't like to vacuum.
  • He is very strong and manly.
  • He's just country enough, but not too much.
  • He's not perfect.
  • This is only the beginning, but I'm running out of time.
Back when I was single, I made a list. I prayed that God would give me a man with my laundry list of attributes which i kept tucked away in my journal... here they are:
  • Loves God, committed to spiritual growth and service
  • strong, not passive. Strong enough for me to want to follow
  • desires to lead, serve, protect, teach, guard and provide for me
  • good work ethic- not a slacker- driven- high achiever
  • intelligent/educated
  • wakes up early (WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!)
  • makes me laugh and thinks I am funny too
  • makes decisions (and I can trust to make good decisions)
  • Likes to cuddle and kiss (a lot)
  • self control and discipline
  • athletic, healthy and committed to staying active throughout life
  • someone I trust wholeheartedly
  • honesty, good communication, keeps it real
  • someone i truly respect and admire
  • character, strong/similar values, honesty, integrity
  • intense physical attraction/chemistry
  • common interests: loves the outdoors, music, sports, hiking, camping, the beach, traveling, working out, etc.
  • knows that chivalry is not dead. treats me like a lady
  • healthy, fun competition
  • family- #1 priority- good healthy relationships
  • good reputation- people are drawn to him
Well, I got him. I can't believe how much he loves me and I am so in love with him. I always knew that i only wanted to get married if it was going to add value to my life. When I met Eric, I knew I needed to marry him. I could not NOT marry him. He is my perfect match. I believe that marriage was designed by God to reflect His sacrificial love, his covenant with his people, his forgiveness. I want our marriage to be one that gives people hope. I love us. I can't say enough about how perfect Eric is for me. It's probably safe to say that I never would have found him on my own. I look forward to many more years and especially the new adventures that this life together is sure to bring. I love you Eric... remember this?

By God's design and by my choice, I choose to join my life with yours, Eric. I ask you to be a witness to my life. I will love and cherish only you as long as I live. I promise I will go wherever you go, and I will face whatever you face. For good or ill, in happiness or sadness, come riches or poverty, I take you as my husband.


I,Traci, take you, Eric, to be my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until we are parted by death. This is my solemn vow.



2 comments:

Vik said...

" I always knew that i only wanted to get married if it was going to add value to my life." ....I think that's how I feel.

p.s. your marriage gives me hope :)

Kraig Etzel said...

um. you kinda made me tear up over here. as i'm over on eharmony at the moment looking for my Eric-equivalent. or maybe i hope to be the Eric, looking for my Trae-equivalent ;) haha. thanks for giving me hope, as well.