Tuesday, August 4, 2009

30 in 30: No. 8 - Her First Breath


I’m sure you can guess that my nieces and nephews will be a blog topic (and they will) but not this one. My nieces Emma and Jessi were born 10 days apart. When we were in the waiting room as Kalli was having Emma, I looked at Katti and said “Um… I don’t know if you would want this, or if I would even want to do this, but have you ever considered having me in the room when you have her?” She seemed fairly disinterested and kind of shrugged her shoulders.

A week and an half later, I was driving back to Forest Grove from a job interview in Seattle. I knew that Katti was in labor, but since we hadn’t talked since my brief mention of the possibility, I figured that she did not want me in the room and had decided to just go home and drive to Albany in the morning to meet Jessi. My mom called me just after I got on Highway 26 and was headed west. She asked what I was doing and I said I was going to head home. Katti got on the phone and asked “Are you coming? I thought you wanted to be here when she’s born?” I said, “I didn’t think you wanted me to! Will I make it in time?” She said “You better hurry.”

I’ll spare you any details, but it wasn’t an hour after I got there that Jessi was born. Katti became Wonder Woman that day, in my eyes. Granted, Jessi was her 4th, but if having a child were as easy as this woman made it look, I’d prefer it to going for a run. Just kidding.

And Jessi… she didn’t like me for the first couple of years of her life. As you will read later, I love each of my nieces and nephews, but there’s something really special about the one I watched take her first breath. Thank you, Katti for giving me that experience. And thank you for not scaring me out of ever having children. You did good!

3 comments:

George Grenz said...

There's also something special about the people that go through that experience with you. I am glad that you are one of those! I am also glad that I didn't destroy my chances of having nieces and nephews, i mean just nephews ( or has that changed?), on your wing of the family. However, I would not consider myself wonder woman, but I do appreciate the sentiment! I love you so much, and love your blog. Awesome idea!! PS Da's thing is automatically on here, so I think it will post in his name, but this is from me , Katti!

George Grenz said...

I read this to Jessi, and she said, "Me?" Heee-Heee. I love you boo!

kasstala said...

I forgot you there in the room with her. So your telling me I'm the only one in our fam. That has not had that experience.. Oh well maybe someday