Monday, August 31, 2009

30 in 30 No. 19 - Kerri

My 30 in 30 is going to extend past my birthday because of the craziness that the month of August brings in my job. But I will finish. I’m 30 now, and I’ve decided to enter into this transition intentionally. For the next 30 days I will be writing a blog a day about an event, person, experience that has had a significant impact on the woman that I am today and who I am becoming.

School started today at WPC and it's easy to let my mind wander back to this week 12 years ago when I started college, living in the very same building that my office is now located in. I met Kerri for the first time during New Student Orientation. We lived on the same floor and quickly became friends. It wasn't until our junior year that our friendship really solidified. And our senior year, we were practically inseparable. We graduated and then said our goodbyes the following week when Kerri moved to California for grad school. Toward the end of the summer, my path was aimed in a direction that would lead me into Kerri's path. I was hesitant because I didn't want to "follow" her or impose on her dream/goal but in the end, I decided to go. I could never regret that decision. Our friendship became one of the most important parts of my story during those years.

We had 2 years in grad school together before she moved to Kentucky and I moved back to Oregon. Most of my crazy stories involve Kerri. We have had so much fun together over the years. We have been on so many road trips and adventures. There are days that I still long for my seat on that big white couch sipping Don Francisco's coffee and journaling in silence together. Kerri's friendship has shaped me in a number of ways. I learned through our friendship, the love that David and Jonathan shared. The support that a friendship provides in difficult times and in victorious times can mean the world to a person. THere was a week back in grad school where, unbeknownst to me, Kerri decided that she was going to fast and pray for the man that I would marry. She wrote a prayer journal that week and gave it to me at the end of her fast. I still can't believe she did that for me.

Kerri is one of the most remarkable people that I know. She has a passion for life that is unmatched. She is a visionary, a dreamer, she always has a goal and she always reaches the next goal. She is deeply passionate for justice and she has the strength and leadership to truly make a difference. Her influence is far-reaching and many people have been changed in a conversation with Kerri when she focuses entirely on you, captivated by your story and then offers a challenging, passionate word of advice and you leave feeling as though you can conquer the world.

Kerri has everything that a person needs to achieve greatness and she HAS. That is most notably seen in not only the lives that have been changed as a result of being in relationship with her, but also in her success in every professional role that she has held. Asbury college is a different place because of this woman. Pepperdine is a different place because of her and she's not done there yet! I watch Kerri in wonder as everything she touches turns to gold.

My heart is heavy as I write this because I miss Kerri greatly. It has been 10 months since I last saw her when I flew down last October. This relationship specifically is the one that makes me long for the days past, where time and distance were not an issue. I was blessed with 6 years of "living" with Kerri. I'm discontent to a certain degree without her in my life. So as I end this post, something feels entirely unwritten...

1 comment:

Kate Reneigh said...

ok, so you know how they say that everyone has an age in their head where they stop aging? Is this beacuse subconscioulsy that is your age? 19? Seriously, you're slacking. And no, you can't cheat and use buying a house for one. That happened AFTER you were 30! Anyway, I love you!!